Roasted Chilean Sea Bass with Seared Tomatoes and Leeks
This recipe yields 4 servings.
- 1½ lb Chilean sea bass, skinless bones removed, cut into four 1½" thick steaks
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup drained canned plum tomatoes crushed, juice reserved
- 3 large leeks split, washed, and julienned
- 2 shallots finely minced
- ¼ cup pitted Niçoise olives
- 3 tbsp capers
- ¼ cup dry white vermouth
- ½ cup fish stock
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Sear the tomatoes over medium heat, add the leeks, and cook together 3 minutes.
- Add the shallots, olives, capers, reserved tomato juice, vermouth, and stock, and cook 5 minutes more over medium heat, or until the sauce reduces slightly.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into an ovenproof casserole.
- Place the on top of the bed of vegetables and roast the for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Gently remove the from the casserole, stir in the tarragon and butter and spoon the vegetable sauce around the fish.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional chopped tarragon.