Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup potato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1.Roast the peppers:
- Cut peppers into quarters and remove stem, seeds, and membranes.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Place peppers down on foil, skin side up and press each segment to lie flat on sheet.
- Bake in an oven at 425º for 20 minutes or until skin is blackened and blistered.
- Remove peppers from oven and place in a paper bag.
- Close bag and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard skins. Set roasted peppers aside.
2.Heat oil in a large saucepan and cook onion and garlic for 3–4 minutes or until onion is tender.
3.Stir in roasted peppers, broth, and potato. Bring to boiling then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
4.Cool mixture slightly then pour in a third of the pepper mixture into a blender and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining mixture.
5.Return mixture to saucepan and heat through.
6.Serve in bowls with a dollop of non-fat sour cream (optional) garnished with chives.
- Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain