Scottish Lemon Scones
These make a wonderful breakfast or brunch treat. They are also nice served with lemon curd.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp. grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Slightly beat egg and add to butter milk, set aside.
- In a bowl, add flour, lemon rind, poppy seeds, and lemon juice.
- Once butter is cut into pats, add to bowl; work with pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add buttermilk mixture.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead five or six times, divide in half and roll or pat each section into circle.
- Cut each circle into six wedges placing one inch apart on lightly greased sheet.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine lemon juice and sifted powdered sugar. Drizzle evenly on scones.
MAKES 16 servings.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Groupp" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/catsrecipes/s