An unusual shortbread recipe in that this one also uses brown sugar and some cornmeal - it works!!! Delicious with ice cream, or on they're own.
- Place rack in center of oven.
- Preheat oven to 330°F.
- cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add salt, vanilla and cornmeal and beat until combined well.
- Add flour, ¼ cup at a time, beating until just combined.
- Divide dough into 4 balls and on each of 2 baking sheets, press 2 of the balls into 5 inch rounds.
- With fork tines, score each round into 6 wedges and prick edges decoratively.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes, or until shortbread is just firm.
- Cut halfway through each round along prick marks and transfer to racks to cool.