The soy-based sauce for these kebabs draws its various intensely flavored ingredients — cilantro, garlic, ginger and chiles — From the equatorial hot zone, where weather and food alike are fiery.
- Heat oil in small saucepan over very low heat until warm.
- Stir in chiles, ginger and garlic.
- Cover and cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally (do not brown).
- Mix wine, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch until the starch dissolves.
- Add to chile mixture; Increase heat to medium-high and whisk until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly.
- Remove sauce from heat.
- Transfer to bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Stir in lime juice. (can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Pour ½ cup of sauce into a small bowl.
- Add cilantro to remaining sauce; reserve.
- Alternate 4 shrimp and 4 scallops on each skewer.
- Brush both sides with ½ cup sauce.
- Grill just until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to plates. Serve with reserved sauce.