- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. milk extra
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¾ cup ghee
- salt to taste
- A few saffron strands
- Soak saffron strands in 2 tbsp. milk warmed. Keep aside.
- Sift together flour and salt, sprinkle in sugar.
- Take in a large bowl, add melted ghee. Run in ghee with finger until evenly distributed.
- Add milk a little at a time, and knead in dough. When it forms a soft smooth lump, cover with moist cloth.
- Keep aside for 2 hours, knead, keep aside again for 2 hours. Knead again, divide into 7 parts.
- Rub saffron strands in milk to dissolve.
- Place an inverted heavy iron pan on lower shelf of oven. Keep the grill on upper rack. Preheat to 250°C (480°F).
- Use dry flour for dusting while rolling. Roll to thick round about 6" in diameter. Prick with fork all over. Slap onto pan base.
- Allow to bake until brown spots appear.
- Move to grill with tongs. Dip fingers in saffron milk and splash on sheermal. Keep in oven few more seconds.
- Or, bake in traditional tandoor or in inverted pressure cooker.
- Remove, serve hot or wrap in slightly moist towel to collect.
Apply butter or ghee on top if desired. Serve with gravies, veggies, curds, pickles or jams.