Soft Rolls with Crab
Makes 16 soft rolls.
- 1 lb cooked crabmeat
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 headlettuce
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- rice paper sheets (Banh Trang)
- Hoisin Dipping Sauce and/or Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add asparagus and cook for one minute.
- Add water and cook, covered, for three minutes more; remove from heat.
- Note: crab is meant to be chilled and asparagus is meant to be cooled down to room temperature when building rolls.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water (deep enough to submerge a rice paper).
- Dip one rice paper at a time while building soft rolls, just till it becomes pliable; remove from water and blot on paper toweling.
- To build roll, on softened rice paper, place a lettuce leaf leaving margins on all sides (except top is ok).
- Top lettuce with one ounce of crab, one piece of asparagus, a couple of pinches of alfalfa sprouts and shredded carrots, a fresh basil leaf, and a couple of cilantro sprigs.
- Fold bottom edge of rice paper up over filling, then wrap right side over filling and roll up tightly into a bundle.
- Place on serving platter covered with a damp paper towel while preparing remaining rolls.
- Serve at once with dipping sauces and hot chile paste (sambal oelek), if desired.