Somlah Machoo Soup
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon peeled, coarsely chopped galangal
- 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2/3 cup water
- To make the paste: Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth, 2 to 3 munintes.
- 2 1/2 pounds of baby back ribs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces across the bone, then cut between the bones
- 1 tablespoon prahok ( optional )
- 5 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons of sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of Sugar
- 1 cup of tamarind juice
- 1-1 1/2 pounds of Chinese watercress or regular watercress, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Julienned red bell pepper, for garnish
- Transfer the paste to a large pot, stir in the ribs and prahok (if using) and cook over medium-high heat, stirring well, for 5 to 6 munintes.
- Add the water, sauce, salt and Sugar and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the soup has reached a boil, skim, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the ribs are tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Stir in the tamarind juice and watercress, remove from the heat and serve in bowls, garnished with slices of red pepper.