Sopa de Amendoim
Peanut Soup from Curaçao, or a Caribbean chicken and peanut soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 8 ounces stewing beef or salt beef, trimmed of fat and diced 1x1
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 chicken breast halves, cut into 1 dice
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and minced
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Soak salt beef in water for 1 hour; then drain.
- In saucepan, heat oil and saute onion over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add beef and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer until beef is tender (1 hour).
- Add chicken and simmer for 40 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in peanut butter, then add sugar, jalapeno, salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Simmer 25–30 minutes and serve hot.