Sopa de Topinambur
This unusual soup is good both hot and cold - but particularly hot, I think, when cold winds are blowing and these sunchokes start showing up in the market.
- 1 lb Jersualem artichokes (or "sunchokes")
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 cup vegetable stock or chicken stock
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Peel the sunflower rhizomes and slice them thinly.
- Put them in a medium saucepan with the onion and stock - bring to a boil and simmer, covered, about 30 minutes.
- Puree in a blender, solids first, then pour back into the saucepan.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in the cream, and reheat.
- When ready to serve, ladle into individual bowls.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of cream in the middle of each bowl and swirl in a figure eight.
- Top with minced cilantro or parsley.