Soupe aux Pois Rouges
- Pick over the beans, wash them, and put them into a large saucepan or stockpot.
- Add the water and other ingredients, except the rum.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Then lower the heat, and simmer for 2½ to 3 hours, until the beans are very tender.
- Purée the soup in a food processor or put it through a food mill.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings and return the soup to the pot, adding up to 1 cup hot water to bring the soup to a thick, but not pasty, consistency and serve hot.
- At each place, serve a cordial glass of dark Haitian rum, which the diners should add to their soup before tasting it.