Spanish Walnut Cake
Prep Time: n. a.
Cook time: 30, 45 or 60 minutes (see directions)
Serves: n. a.
This is a simply delectable cake with a fine crumb and a rich, spicy flavor. The addition of walnuts make this cake a little more toothy and wholesome. This is best when topped with a chocolate butter frosting, but can certainly be topped with a white butter frosting, too.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Cream the butter and sugar well before adding the egg yolks, one at a time - make sure to mix until just blended before adding the next yolk.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk.
- Beat the room temperature, reserved egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the whites into the batter until just blended - do NOT over-mix, as your cake will lose its precious volume.
- Pour into a 13 x 9" pan, layer pans or a springform pan. Bake at 350 °F for 30 minutes if using layer pans, 45 minutes for a 13 x 9" pan or 60 minutes if using a springform pan. Note that you can also use a tube (angel food cake) pan as well. Follow the baking time for a springform pan if you use a tube pan.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan before frosting with either a white butter or chocolate butter frosting. Top with additional chopped walnuts, then serve.