Spicy Beef Salad
A classic Thai dish. My idea of a perfect Thai meal: Chicken Satay, Pad Thai, Spicy Beef Salad and Thai Iced Tea. Prep time does not include 1 hour of chilling time for dressing. Nothing really substitutes for lemongrass. Try looking for it in a local Asian market.
- 1 large tomato, cut into thin wedges
- 1 large sweet Onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 lb flank Steak
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander, divided
- 2 small fresh Thai peppers or Serrano peppers
- 1 stalk lemongrass, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- mixed greens
- sliced green onions (to garnish)
Combine tomato, Onion, cucumber and chopped green onions.
Rub Steak with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon coriander.
Process remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon coriander, Thai peppers, lemongrass, fresh lemon juice, rice wine vinegar, sauce, vegetable oil, and Sugar in a food processor until smooth.
Chill dressing for 1 hour.
Grill Steak, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350°-400 °F) for 6 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness.
Let stand 5 minutes.
Thinly slice Steak.
To serve, place Steak and vegetable mixture in a large bowl, drizzle with dressing, tossing to coat.
Serve over salad greens; garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.