Spicy Korean Kimchi
Serve this as a side dish-a garnish that will enhance the flavor of your meal.
- Preparation: 72 hours and 20 minutes.
- This recipe is for 2 pints.
- 1 lb sized head Chinese cabbage
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Separate and wash the cabbage leaves.
- Sprinkle them with the 2 tbsp of salt.
- Place them in a non corrosive dish (pyrex) and pour in the 4 cups cold water, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge over night.
- The water should cover the leaves if not place a heavy object on them to keep them submerged.
- After sitting overnight pour off the water and rinse the leaves well, shake out excess moisture (I used my lettuce dryer to remove the extra moisture).
- Mix the garlic, ginger, green onion,chile flakes,sugar and 1 tbsp salt, stir together.
- Pour 1½ cups of very hot water over the mixed seasoning.
- Place cabbage leaves in a large zip lock bag or in a bowl, pour in the seasoning, mix well so the seasoning is on every leaf.
- Place in the fridge for two days.
- Flip the bag every time you open the fridge door.
- To serve cut the leaves into 2" strips and serve as a side condiment.
- To store pack the cabbage into a jar and store in the fridge it will keep for several days to a week or more.