Spinach and Anchovy Pastries
- Serves 4.
- 400 g short pastry
- 1 kg spinach, cooked and well drained
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 medium onions finely sliced
- 100 g black olives, stoned and chopped
- 100 g peas, fresh or frozen (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- egg yolks to glaze.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry onions until soft, add anchovies and mash with a fork, add and stir for a few minutes, then add spinach and blend well with the other ingredients.
- Add peas, if using any.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- The spinach should be well drained or the filling will be too watery.
- Cook over a low flame for 5 minutes more and let it cool.
- Prepare pastry by rolling it cut thinly and cut into rounds of about 12 cm with the aid of a saucer.
- Put spoonfuls of filling on centre of each round.
- Wet the edges of pastry and gather it around filling by making pleats around it, leaving the middle uncovered with the filling showing.
- Glaze the pastry with egg yolk mixed with a little milk or water.