Steak Madeira with Rice
Makes 6 servings.
- 1½ pounds boneless sirloin steak, cut into ½-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 x 10½-ounce can condensed beef broth
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup Madeira or sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 x 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms (drain; reserve liquid)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook meat and onion with salt, garlic powder and pepper in oil in large skillet until meat is brown and onion is transparent.
- Stir in broth, water, wine, catsup and worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Stir in Mushrooms.
- Blend cornstarch with mushroom liquid; stir into meat mixture.
- Cook, stirring, until clear and thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream just before serving.
- Serve over hot rice.