Steak and Guinness Pie
This Irish meat dish is best served and eaten with potatoes and vegetables.
- 1 x 12-inch pie pastry
- 2 pounds round steak, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 5 medium size onions, chopped
- 1 bottle Guinness stout
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- chopped parsley
- In a casserole heat butter.
- Cook steak, flour and bacon over medium heat until brown.
- In a separate pan, saute onions until brown.
- Then add onions in the casserole.
- Add raisins, brown sugar and Guinness. Stir.
- Cover casserole and let it cook and simmer over low heat for 2½ hours.
- Add water when gravy mixture thickens rapidly.
- While the meat is cooking, take out a pie dish and coat it with half of the pastry and bake.
- Place the meat and gravy mix in the pie dish.
- Cover with the rest of pastry.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.