- 4 or 5 apples
- Bread crumbs
- Small amount of butter nutmeg
- Butter your dish; lay in it a layer of bread crumbs, grated very fine
- Boil 4 or 5 apples very tender, add a little butter nutmeg, and fine sifted sugar.
- Mix all up together, and lay on the bread-crumbs, then another layer of the crumbs; then add pieces of fresh butter on the top, and bake in a slow oven for a quarter of an hour, until it becomes a delicate brown.
- It may be eaten hot or cold.
This page incorporates text from the public domain 1881 Household Cyclopedia.