Roast stuffed shoulder of veal
- Serving will be enough for 7-8 people.
- ½ lb ground lean veal
- ½ lb ground lean pork
- ½ lb ground lean beef
- ½ cup white bread crumbs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup onion minced
- 2 cup chicken stock
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 each eggs
- 5 lb boned shoulder of veal
- 4 each hard-boiled eggs peeled
- Combine ground meats in a large mixing bowl.
- Add bread crumbs, onions, water, eggs, 1 tbsp salt and 1 tsp. pepper.
- Mix with your hands or with a large spoon until all ingredients are very well combined (you must vigorously knead this mixture for 3-5 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread the veal skin-side down flat on some board or shelf using sharp knife; make small cuts in the thickest areas of the meat to make it even flatter.
- Cover the veal with meat mallet, press it so as to fairly uniform thickness its thickness.
- Remove cover then sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Spread ½ the stuffing on the veal, leaving a 2" border of veal exposed all around the sides.
- Lay hard-boiled eggs in a row down the length of stuffing and spread remaining stuffing in a layer over them.
- Bring one long side of the veal over the filling to the middle and tuck-in the two ends.
- Bring the other side over the filling to enclose it very well.
- With kitchen cord, tie rolled veal crosswise at 2" intervals, then with more cord tie it lengthwise.
- Place the rolled veal seam-side down in a shallow roasting pan large enough to hold it.
- Pour in 1 and ½ cup chicken stock and roast for 2 hours basting veal from time-to-time with the juices in pan.
- When meat is golden brown carefully transfer it to a serving platter then remove and discard cords.
- Bring juices remaining in pan to a boil over high-heat.
- If most of liquid has cooked away add remaining ½ cup chicken broth to pan.
- Scrape into it any bits that may be sticking to bottom and sides of pan.
- Remove from heat then stir.
- Mix ½ cup sour cream into sauce by adding 1 tbsp at a time.
- Taste for seasoning and pour into a gravy-boat.
- Slice veal roll crosswise into 1" rounds and arrange slightly overlapping down center of a large preheated platter.
- Moisten them with a few tbsp of sauce and serve remaining sauce separately.
- Usually rolled shoulder of veal is served with crisp fried potato patties.