Taiwanese Sticky Rice
- Soak in two separate containers of water overnight (this step is important):1.5 c glutinous rice, 3-4 dried shiitake Mushrooms
- Drain rice and Mushrooms (save the Mushroom water), and slice the following into small strips:soaked Mushrooms from step 1, 1 square five-spice pressed tofu, 1 small chunk "vegetarian Ham," veggie burger or other veggie "meat" (optional)
- Mince into tiny bits:1 clove garlic (optional), 1 small knob ginger (optional)
- Sauté ingredients from step 3 in a large wok with hot oil a short while, then add sliced ingredients from step 2. stir in: soy sauce or soy paste (to taste), salt (to taste)
- Just before the tofu and "meat" look and smell done, add the drained rice and immediately turn down the heat to medium. add: more soy sauce or soy paste (to give a nice medium-brown color), 1/4 c Mushroom water (from steps 1-2)
- Stir constantly to prevent sticking and burning, a few minutes, until the liquid is mostly gone.
- Turn off the heat and pour the rice mixture into small rice bowls lined with plastic wrap or a large baking pan lined with plastic wrap. steam for 30–60 minutes or until the rice grains have become soft and translucent.
- Serve right away, or refrigerate and reheat as needed. serve with: roasted sesame seeds (sprinkled on top) (optional), Mushroom/seaweed dust (sprinkled on top) (optional), sweet chili sauce