Tajikistan Lamb with Spinach
- 2 1/2 lb Lamb stew meat -- preferably leg
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 3/4 lb onions; diced large
- 4 ts Chopped garlic
- 2 ts turmeric
- 1/4 ts nutmeg
- 1/4 ts Ground cardamom
- 1 ts crushed red pepper -- or to taste
- 1/2 ts cinnamon
- 32 oz Can tomatoes; drain & chop
- 1 c Rich brown veal stock or
- 1 c Rich beef stock
- 1/3 lb Fresh spinach; wash & drained
- 1/2 c yogurt
- 1 tb Grated lemon peel
- salt; to taste
- 1/4 c pine nuts* *Roasted at 350 F. for about 3 minutes.
- Sear Lamb in the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven. Add the onions; saute them for 2 minutes; then add the garlic and saute it for 1 minute.
- Put in the turmeric, nutmeg, cardamom, crushed red pepper and cinnamon and saute the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes more, being careful not to burn the onions or garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and veal stock and stir.
- Cover the dish and bake at 350 F. for about 1 hour, until the meat is tender and begins to break up.
- Remove the dish from the oven and add the spinach, stirring until the spinach is wilted and blended in.
- Allow the stew to cool slightly. Add the yogurt, lemon peel and salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with roasted pine nuts.