Tangy Curry-Tomato Chutney
This chutney may be served with beef, lamb, pork, sausage, or poultry.
- Source: Midwest Living
- Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes | Chill: 8 hours
- Makes about 2 cups
- 3 medium garden-ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 red or purple plums, pitted and finely chopped (1¾ cups)
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 fresh scotch bonnet chile pepper or jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon or lime peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine tomatoes, plums, green onions, brown sugar, vinegar, chile pepper, lemon peel and juice, curry powder, and cardamom.
- Bring boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the chutney to a covered container and chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours before serving.
- Make-ahead directions: store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 3 months.