Texas Beef Braised in Guiness
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 pounds round steak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1 bottle Guinness
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Trim fat from steak and slash edges to prevent curling.
- In a skillet over medium high heat quickly brown steak pieces in 2 tablespoons of oil then remove from skillet and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium then add sliced mushrooms and onion to skillet along with remaining oil and sauté until onion is transparent.
- Pour sautéed vegetables evenly into a medium baking dish.
- Place steak in single layer over vegetables.
- Slowly pour Guinness into pan until steak pieces are just barely covered.
- Sprinkle in the thyme and orange peel and season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover dish tightly with foil then braise in oven for 1½ hours.