Tofu Rice Burgers
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup short-grain rice
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock or water
- 6 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and coarsely grated
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup quick cooking rolled oats, not instant
With Potato masher or fork, mash rice mixture slightly; mix in tofu and carrot and rolled oats. Shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties. (Patties can be wrapped in plastic wrap at this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours).
Place patties on greased grill over medium-high heat or on greased baking sheet; close lid and cook, turning once, for 10 to 12 minutes on grill, 14 minutes under broiler, or until crispy outside. Top with sliced tomatoes, onions, sprouts or whatever tickles your fancy.
Per serving: 200 calories, 4 grams fat, 10 grams protein and 31 grams carbohydrates