Traditional French Onion Soup
Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 6-8
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine
- 5 cups thinly sliced onions, about 2 pounds
- 4 cans (10½ ounces each) condensed beef broth
- 1 soup can water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 6 to 8 French bread slices, 1 inch thick
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Add onions; cook over moderately low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In large saucepan combine onions, beef broth, water, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Toast bread.
- Place toast in one large or in individual bowls.
- Add soup; sprinkle toast with cheese.
- Serve with additional cheese, if desired.