Three milks cake
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup of light corn syrup, such as Karo
- In the bowl of your mixer place the egg whites.
- Beat at low speed first and then increase the speed to high until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar gradually, letting it dissolve well before adding more, and beat until firm.
- Add the egg yolks one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Now mix the flour with the baking powder and add to the mixture alternating with the milk.
- This operation has to be done quickly or the batter will loose the lightness in it.
- Finally, add the vanilla.
- Pour this batter in a large rectangular pyrex,greased and floured, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in a 350°F oven.
- While this is baking, prepare the cream.
- Very simple: just mix everything together in a blender and pour over the still warm spongecake.
- Place the water, sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan and let boil.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Add the hot syrup in a string and continue beating at high speed until all the syrup has been added.
- Beat until no longer warm.
To serve the tres leches
- Once the soaked spongecake is at room temperature you have to let it cool in the refrigerator.
- Then you can spread the frosting and put back in the cold.
- This is supposed to be served very cold.
- You can decorate this cake with silver dragées or you can also make some caramel and let some strings of it just casually over the frosting.