Turron de Vino
- This recipe is for 8 to 10 serving
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 1½ cup (375 ml) red wine
- 6 egg whites
- a pinch of cream of tartar (tartaric acid)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped almonds
- whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- Combine the sugar and wine in a saucepan over moderate heat and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer uncovered until reduced in volume by about half.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Place the bowl over (not in) boiling water and slowly stir in the wine mixture and vanilla extract.
- Continue stirring until thoroughly combined and the egg whites are cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Fold in the chopped almonds and spoon into dessert bowls or wine glasses.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and serve chilled, garnished with whipped cream if desired.