Vaal ki Usal
A popular, easy to make Maharashtrian dish. The combination of jaggery and kokum gives a sweet and tangy taste to the usal. Vaal provides you the much needed protein, calcium and folic acid. Serve this usal with hot palak aur chawal ki roti, page...
- Courtesy: Ms. Tarla Dalal
- Recipe Source : Cooking with 1 Teaspoon of Oil
- Contributed by Indiancuisineandculture Y-Group
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 25 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 cups sprouted vaal (field beans)
- 4 to 5 kokums
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 5 to 6 teaspoons curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 teaspoons jaggery (gur), chopped
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 4 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon oil
- salt to taste
- Soak the kokums in 2 tablespoons of water and leave aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Purée the soaked kokums in a blender to get a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and ginger and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the vaal and 1 cup of water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, kokum paste, jaggery, chilli powder, coriander and salt and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.