This recipe is sized for the 8 qt programmable pressure cooker
VEGETABLE BROTH (15 minutes, high pressure)
There's no need to peel any of the vegetables, even the onions and garlic.
Just trim and scrub or rinse as needed.
3 quarts water
1 pound carrots
7 ribs celery, halved
3 large onions, quartered
10 cloves garlic
1/2 ounce (1/2 cup loosely packed) dried mushrooms
Small bunch parsley
3 large bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1. Pour water into cooker. Press BROWN and START.
2. As water begins to heat, add remaining ingredients.
3. Pull lid handles apart and set lid on cooker. Slide safety lock to LOCK
position. Point pressure regulator knob to PRESSURE.
4. Set pressure mode for HIGH and cook time for 15 MINUTES. Press
5. When cooker beeps three times, STOP light will illuminate. If time permits,
allow pressure to release naturally (about 20 minutes). Otherwise, quickrelease
pressure by holding down Quick Steam Release Button until red
Pressure Indicator Rod drops.
6. Slide safety lock to UNLOCK. Pull handles apart and remove lid.
7. Cool broth slightly. Ladle into large colander set over a large bowl or storage
container. Press solids to release all liquid.
8. Divide broth into storage containers and refrigerate for up to 4 days or
freeze for up to 3 months.
Makes about 3 quarts