Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
Makes 12 x 4-inch pancakes
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (1 cup lowfat milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Stir together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat the egg, milk and oil together.
- Add the liquids to the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour the batter onto a greased hot griddle.
- Serve with fresh fruit slices, unsweetened applesauce or low-calorie syrup.
Two pancakes = calories: 114 | carbohydrates: 18 | protein: 4 | fat: 3 | sodium: 246 | potassium: 1200 | cholesterol: 47 | exchange value: 1 bread exchange + ½ fat exchange