Wisconsin-style Maple Bacon Salad Dressing
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- olive oil
- ⅔ cup chopped Bermuda onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup Wisconsin maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced or 1 tablespoon dried chives
- Stir-fry bacon in a large saucepan until extremely crisp.
- Remove bacon with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour all of bacon drippings into a glass measuring cup and if necessary, add olive oil to bring the level to ½ cup.
- Return to saucepan.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Remove pan from heat and pour in vinegar.
- Add maple syrup.
- Over low heat, blend mixture with wire whisk and heat until warm.
- Whisk in salt, mayonnaise and chives until smooth and blended.
- Remove from heat.
- This dressing is especially good over spinach or other green salads.