Eggs aren't just for breakfast. This Italian vegetable omelet makes a delicious light lunch or dinner. If you are not partial to the flavor of goat cheese, substitute shredded Monterey jack or feta cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ¼" thick rounds
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons water
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup packed basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 350 °F. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a 12-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Cook zucchini 10 minutes, turning slices as they brown. Add green onion; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and crushed red pepper. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, until zucchini is golden and tender; transfer to a bowl, Wipe down skillet.
- Heat broiler with rack in upper level (but not the closest to heat source).
- Whisk eggs, water, goat cheese, basil and remaining ½ teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat; add egg mixture and cook 1½ minutes to set bottom.
- Spoon zucchini mixture evenly over top; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes until edge is set and puffed.
- Uncover, transfer to broiler and broil 1 to 1½ minutes, just until top is set and lightly golden.