Apricot ‘n’ Poppy Seed Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In small skillet, toast poppy seeds over medium-high heat, stirring often until seeds change color slightly, 2 to 3 minutes; set aside.
- Place almonds on baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Lightly brush two baking sheets with oil or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- In food processor, finely grind toasted almonds and oats.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Add rice flour, toasted poppy seeds, salt, cinnamon and cardamom and mix to blend.
- In medium bowl, mix oil, rice syrup, apricot spread and almond extract until blended.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir just until blended (batter will be sticky).
- Roll 1 tablespoon dough into a ball and flatten to form a cookie about 1¾ inches in diameter. (it’s helpful to dip hands and utensils in water when working with this sticky dough)
- Press a cluster of blanched, slivered almonds (about 5) into centers of each cookie.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, about 12 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool in pans for several minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.