Black Bean Chili Pot Pie
- In 4-quart dutch oven or flame-proof casserole, heat 1½ tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- In small bowl, mix cumin, chili powder, coriander, cocoa and salt to taste.
- Add remaining ½ tablespoon oil and spice mixture to pot; stir 1 minute over medium heat.
- Add remaining ingredients; gradually bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more salt if necessary.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients.
- Add water and oil to well and stir until blended.
- Let batter stand 2 minutes.
- Pour batter over chili and spread evenly (it will be thin).
- Bake until topping is cooked through and chili is bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.