Boston Cream Cupcakes
While Boston Cream pie is a classic, it can be time consuming to make. This recipe incorporates the Boston Cream pie flavors we all know and love—the contrast of creamy vanilla with rich, dark chocolate—into cupcake form.
- Cook Time: Approximately 1 hour
- Serves: 24
- 1 box cake mix + ingredients required to prepare cake mix (see directions on package)
- 1 x 3.4-ounce box vanilla flavored instant pudding mix
- 1¼ cups cold whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 x cup heavy cream
- 1 x 12-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- optional: ¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Bake cupcakes according to directions on cake mix box.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, pudding mix and vanilla extract.
- Blend for two minutes using a hand blender.
- Refrigerate mixture for 15 minutes.
- Fill pastry bag with pudding mixture.
- To inject vanilla pudding mixture into cupcakes, insert pastry bag tip into cupcake, squeezing a tablespoon of filling into each cupcake.
- To make the ganache topping, heat cream in saucepan until bubbles form around the edges.
- This should take less than five minutes.
- Once bubbles form, quickly remove saucepan from heat and add the chocolate chips.
- Whisk the chocolate cream mixture until it is smooth.
- Glaze the cupcakes by spooning or drizzling the ganache over them.
- Alternately, you can also dunk cupcake tops directly into the ganache.
- If you are running low on cream, a mixture of cream and half and half will also work.
- If you do not have a pastry bag, you can use a mustard bottle to fill the cupcakes instead. Just empty the mustard bottle (to refill later), clean it out and use it in place of the pastry bag.
- Make sure you buy instant pudding mix, or else you may end up with a drippy mess for a filling.
Things You'll Need
- cupcake liners
- 2 cupcake pans
- large bowl
- hand mixer
- pastry bag with medium-sized tip
- small heavy saucepan