Cambodian-style Spring Rolls
- Put the pork and the washed, drained bean sprouts into a bowl.
- Cut soaked vermicelli into 5 cm (2 in) lengths.
- Soak dried mushrooms in hot water for 25 minutes, discard stems and slice caps finely.
- Combine all these ingredients with the onion, sugar, soy sauce and fish sauce, mixing thoroughly.
- If using small sheets, 125 mm (5 in) square, use one sheet per roll.
- If using large sheets 250 mm (10 in) square, cut in half.
- Take 2 teaspoons of the mixture and shape into a neat roll.
- Place at one end of the pastry square and roll up, turning ends in so the filling is completely enclosed.
- Deep fry in hot oil over medium heat, cooking the rolls for at least 2 minutes on each side so the filling is thoroughly cooked.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm, accompanied by the dipping sauce.
- Crush the garlic with some of the sugar.
- Combine with the chilli and fish sauce, leave for 10 minutes.
- Add the boiling water, lemon juice and vinegar and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes for flavours to mellow.
- Stir in the peanuts just before serving.