Caramel to glaze the molds:
- 4 dl (1 3/4 cups) Sugar
- 1 liter (quart) whipping cream
- 3/4 dl (1/3 cup) Sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 15 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C (300 degrees F).
- Bring the milk and vanilla bean to a boil.
- Whisk the eggs and Sugar .
- Whisk the eggs into the boiling milk. Caramelize the Sugar .
- Add the water and cook .
- Line 3 1-liter molds with the caramel.
- Strain the milk mixture, then divide among the molds.
- Place a cloth towel in the bottom of an oven tray.
- Place the molds on the towel .
- Add hot water to reach halfway up the molds.
- Bake 90 minutes.
- Refrigerate until completely cold, then unmold.
- Caramelize the Sugar in a frying pan until golden.
- Glaze the bottom and sides of a rectangular 2-liter loaf pan.
- Heat the cream, half the remaining Sugar and the tiny seeds scraped from the inside of the vanilla bean, along with the bean itself to the boiling point.
- Beat the egg yolks with the remaining Sugar.
- Carefully whisk in the hot cream.
- Strain into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a water bath for about 90 min.
- Refrigerate until completely cold.