- In a large pot, soak the beans together overnight in water to cover.
- Drain and add fresh water to cover.
- Cook at a simmer for 1 ½ hours or until beans are just tender.
- While the beans are simmering, heat a large skillet.
- Mince the bacon and cook it until it begins to crisp.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices and the ground poblanos and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice and the beer.
- Simmer for half an hour.
- In another pan, cook the beef until the pink color disappears.
- Drain and add it to tomato mixture.
- When the beans are fully cooked, drain them, reserving the liquid, and add the beans to the meat/tomato mixture.
- Salt to taste and let the mixture simmer for about 1 hour.
- If it is too dry, add some of the bean liquid.