I have more cookbooks... but many do not have recipes on page 17. It's usually some part of an intro to the cookbook. Here is a Page 17 recipe: Bread
- Source: Cooking with the Bible by Anthony F. Chiffolo and Rayner W. Hesse, Jr. (ISBN 0-313-33410-2)
From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- Yield: 12 hearty diagonal slices
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 2 cups unbleached flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2⅓ cups water
- 2 tbsp semolina flour for the countertop
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a cup or glass, mix the yeast, sugar, and water; stir, and set in a warm place until the yeast is bubbly and doubled in volume.
- Meanwhile, mix the flours, salt, and sesame seeds in a large bowl; slowly add the water, ⅓ cup at a time, then the yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough by hand for 5 – 6 minutes until it forms a complete ball; remove from the mixing bowl.
- Knead the dough by hand again for 2 minutes or so.
- The dough should have a smooth, elastic consistency.
- Cut the dough into two pieces.
- Cover each piece with moist, hot towels and let rest for 2 minutes or so.
- Spread some semolina flour on a clean work area and start making a ball with one piece of the dough.
- Do the same with the other piece.
- Cover with moist, hot towels and let stand for 3 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle some semolina flour and start flattening the dough to form a disc about 5 in diameter.
- Do the same with the other ball.
- Cover with moist, hot towels and let rise 1 hour in a warm place.
- With a sharp knife make incisions on the top and bake 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 325f and bake 25 – 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- The bread is done when it is nicely brown over the top and sounds hollow when you tap the bottom.
- Cover with a towel and let cool.
- Cut the bread just before serving.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group