Gado Gado Salad
Indonesian Salad Recipe - Serves 6
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- ¾ cup cabbage, shredded
- ¾ cup green beans, sliced
- ¾ cup carrots, sliced
- ¾ cup cauliflower, chopped
- ½ cup mung bean sprouts
- ⅓ cup snow peas
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 2 red potatoes, cut into wedges
- ¾ to 1 cup coconut milk (depending on whether you want a thicker or thinner sauce)
- ½ cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste or chile paste (or Tabasco sauce)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (or substitute 1 tablespoon soy sauce)
- Wash all the vegetables.
- Ideally, with the exception of the eggs and cucumber, all of the salad ingredients should be blanched or boiled in a large pot of boiling water. However, if you are pressed for time you can serve them raw with the exception of the potato, which has to be boiled.
- To blanch: plunge the vegetable briefly in the boiling water, then plunge into cold water. This leaves the vegetables nicely crisp and neither too firm or limp. Drain all the vegetables.
- Arrange the vegetables on a serving platter, starting on the outside of the platter and work inwards, arranging the vegetables in a colorful pattern.
- Top with the chopped eggs.