Italo and Sri Lankan Salad
- Cut leek in half lengthwise and rinse in a bowl of water, lifting pieces up and down to make sure all grit is removed. Rinse under running water. Drain on paper towels and pat dry. Cut leek into 1½ inch matchsticks. Put them in a large bowl.
- Cut woody core from each quarter of pineapple and discard. Cut each quarter into matchsticks. Add to bowl.
- Cut cabbage into thirds crosswise. Finely dice. Add to bowl.
- Add carrots, olive oil and salt to bowl. Toss and serve at room temperature.
- The salad will keep in a tightly covered container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.