Polenta Bites with Caramelized Mushrooms
- In a medium, heavy pot over high heat bring cream, stock, salt and nutmeg to a boil.
- Add polenta gradually, whisking constantly.
- When mixture thickens, switch to wooden spoon and adjust the heat to maintain a bare simmer.
- Cook stirring often, until thick, smooth and creamy,about 15 minutes.
- Add Parmesan and stir.
- Keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- If polenta gets dry as it sits, stir in ¼ cup of warm stock or cream.
- In medium skillet over high heat, heat olive oil.
- When oil is hot, sprinkle in mushrooms in a single layer.
- DO NOT STIR THEM!
- Let them sizzle until they have caramelized on the bottom, 2 minutes.
- When the bottoms are caramelized toss them once and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Continue to cook with out stirring for 5 minutes.
- Season again, with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add butter or margarine or olive oil and add shallots; cook for 3 minutes.
- Continue to cook until garlic turns brown.
- Do not burn the garlic!
- Add the thyme and cook for 10 seconds.
- Add lemon juice and wine.
- Cook until the mushrooms are glazed with the sauce.
- Add parsley then stir and remove from heat.
- Place 1 tablespoon of warm polenta onto a spoon.
- Place ½ teaspoon of mushroom mixture on the polenta.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
- Serve at once.