Profiteroles with Caramel Sauce
This recipe is for 2 serves.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups whole milk
- ⅔ cup whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 6 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- Bring 1 cup water and butter to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low; add flour and salt.
- Stir until mixture is smooth and pulls away from sides of pan, forming ball, about 1 medium.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Using handheld mixer, beat in eggs 1 at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Cover dough loosely with plastic.
- Let stand until cool, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly butter 2 large baking sheets.
- Spoon dough into pastry bag fitted with ½-inch plain tip.
- Pipe 1-inch rounds on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch apart.
- Using moistened fingertips, smooth rounds.
- Bake until golden brown and puffed, about 23 minutes.
- Remove puffs from oven; turn off heat.
- Pierce side of each puff with tip of small knife.
- Return puffs to oven; let stand 10 minutes with door ajar.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Place 1 tablespoon water in small bowl.
- Sprinkle gelatin over.
- Bring milk, cream, and vanilla bean to simmer in heavy large saucepan.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar, flour, and salt in large bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture; return to saucepan.
- Whisk over medium heat until filling thickens and boils, about 1 minute.
- Stir in gelatin mixture.
- Transfer filling to medium bowl.
- Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of filling and chill until cold, about 3 hours.
- Spoon pastry cream filling into pastry bag fitted with ¼-inch plain tip.
- Insert tip into cut on each puff and fill with cream.
- Stir sugar and ⅓ cup water in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to high and boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber color; occasionally brushing down sides of pan.
- Add cream (mixture will bubble vigorously).
- Whisk in butter.
- Remove from heat.
- Place 4 puffs on each side plate.
- Drizzle puffs with warm caramel sauce.