Spring Tonic Strawberry Rhubarb Mold
Makes 8 servings
- 1½ pounds rhubarb, cut into ½-inch slices (about 6 cups)
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 envelopes (1 tablespoon each) unflavored gelatin
- 1 pint California strawberries, stemmed and sliced lettuce leaves
- whole California strawberries, for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat mix the rhubarb, sugar and ½ cup of the water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat.
- Cook and stir about 10 minutes until rhubarb is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ¼-cup water and the lemon juice in small bowl; sprinkle with gelatin to soften.
- Stir gelatin mixture into hot rhubarb until dissolved.
- Chill until slightly thickened.
- Fold in sliced strawberries.
- Pour into oiled 6-cup mold, chill until firm, at least 3 hours.
- Unfold onto lettuce-lined serving plate.
- Garnish with whole strawberries.