Texas Truck Stop Chili
This recipe came from the Hartman Estate Sale. It was obtained it as part of the purchase of the Family Collection from the Hartman Estate in Arlington, Texas in 1984.
- 3 Pound Trimmed Beef Brisket
- 1/4 Pound Bacon Diced
- 1 Pound White onions Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Ground cumin
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Teaspoons paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried thyme Leaves
- 1/8 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- 4 Large cloves garlic Minced
- 1 Can beef broth
- 28 Ounce Can plum tomatoes in Puree
- 2 Canned chipotle peppers
- 1 Cup water
- Cut beef into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a dutch oven over medium heat cook bacon until crisp then remove and reserve.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon drippings and reserve.
- Over high heat sauté beef in batches adding drippings as needed then remove to bowl.
- Over medium heat sauté onions in any remaining drippings until well browned.
- Meanwhile heat skillet over medium heat then add cumin and cook 1 minute
- Then stir in chili powder, paprika, oregano, pepper, salt,thyme, and cinnamon.
- Stir seasoning and garlic into onions and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in bacon, broth, tomatoes, chilies and beef breaking up tomatoes with spoon.
- Heat chili to boiling then reduce heat
- Cover partially and simmer gently for 3 hours.