Thai Shrimp Skewers
Contributed by Gloria at Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Terrific Diabetic Meals
- Yield: 10 servings (appetizer)
- 20 medium shrimp, cooked and peeled 
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh gingerroot
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp granulated sugar 
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 20 (3-inch) wooden skewers or long toothpicks, soaked in warm water for 1 hour
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels.
- Combine shrimp, garlic, ginger, red pepper, sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice in a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Skewer 2 shrimp onto each skewer.
- Serve chilled.
- You can marinate shrimp up to 6 hours in advance; skewer shrimp up to 3 hours in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Leave the sugar out or use your favorite sweetener.
Per Serving (2 skewers):
- 15 Calories | 1 g Protein | 1 g Carbs | 0 g Dietary Fiber | <1 g Fat | 18 mg Cholesterol | 5 mg Sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: ½ very lean meat
- Glycemic Index (not significant)
- Glycemic Load (not significant)