Tom Yam Goong
- 1 qt water
- 2 stalks lemon grass, cut into 1½" lengths
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, each torn off center spine
- 1 large shallot, peeled, sliced
- 6 small Thai chilies or 2 Serrano chiles, sliced lengthwise
- ½ lb medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined, tails left on
- ½ cup canned straw mushrooms
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 small firm tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped pak chee farang
- Place water in 3-quart saucepan.
- Add lemon grass, lime leaves and shallot and bring to boil.
- Add chiles and shrimp. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add straw mushrooms, lime juice, fish sauce and salt.
- Add tomato and cook just until heated, not soft.
- Turn unstrained soup into serving bowl. (Do not eat lemon grass and lime leaves.)
- Top with pak chee farang and cilantro leaves