Wild Mushroom Strudel
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Makes 8-12 rolls.
- 8 - 12 sheets filo dough
- 1 cup sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 cup sherry
- ½ cup brandy
- 4 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Worcestershire sauce
- soy sauce
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup cream
- 9 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan and add the flour.
- Cook briefly and add the cream. Simmer on low heat to make a very thick sauce.
- In another saucepan, melt 2 more tablespoons butter and sauté the shallots. Cook until light brown, and add the mushrooms.
- Stir well and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Add the sherry, brandy, and some dashes (3-6) of Tabasco, (1-3) Worcestershire, (3-6) soy sauces.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons chopped parsley and cook until reduced by half.
- Stir in the cream sauce and cool.
- Melt the remaining butter. Lay out a sheet of filo and brush it quickly with butter.
- Fold in half (from left to right) and butter again.
- Lay a 1½ tablespoon bead of cream cheese on middle bottom of dough, then 3 times as much mushroom stuffing.
- Roll 1 turn, fold the ends (sides) In, and paint with butter.
- Roll up the rest of the way, and fold the corners in at the last turn.
- (1 Down, 7 to 11 to Go!) Rrepeat with remaining sheets.
- Place all the rolls on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425 °F oven for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve warm, with sour cream or any sauce. (or combine 4 oz. brandy, 2 oz. port wine, and 2 tablespoons chopped shallots in a saucepan. bring to a boil and reduce by two thirds. Stir in 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Keep warm over low heat and serve over the strudel.)