Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Tangy Curry-Tomato Chutney
- Source: Midwest Living
- Prep: 15 minutes | Marinate: 8 to 24 hours | Cook: 8 hours on low, 4 hours on high
- Makes 16 sandwiches (2 per person, for party of eight)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano, crushed
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp kosher or sea salt or ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground white pepper or black pepper
- 3 to 3½ lb boneless pork shoulder
- 1 cup water
- 16 small cocktail buns, split and toasted
- Tangy Curry-Tomato Chutney
- leaf lettuce (optional)
- For dry rub: in a large plastic storage bag, combine chili powder, paprika, oregano, curry powder, onion powder, salt, and white pepper.
- Trim from meat.
- Place meat in plastic storage bag.
- Seal bag and shake so the dry rub completely coats the meat, gently pressing bag, and dry rub against meat.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Place the 1 cup water in a 3½- or 4-quart slow cooker.
- Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove meat from cooker to a cutting board, discarding juices.
- Use two forks to gently separate the meat into long, thin shreds, or strands.
- Return pork to slow cooker.
- Stir in 1 cup of the Tangy Curry-Tomato Chutney until combined.
- Keep warm in cooker on low-heat setting up to 2 hours or until serving time.
- To serve, top rolls with meat and, if you like, leaf lettuce.
- Arrange on a serving platter.
- Serve with remaining Tangy Curry-Tomato Chutney.
- 236 Calories | 7g Total Fat | 2g Saturated Fat | 57mg Cholesterol | 227mg Sodium | 23g Carbs | 2g Fiber | 19g Protein
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/